Re: who is looking for a new distro as a result of systemd (particularly server-side users)

Andrew McGlashan wrote:

On 14/10/2014 4:24 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2014-10-13, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
I'm really curious to know how many others here have come to a similar
conclusion, and what folks are looking at (in my case, SmartOS is
looking better and better).
Oh shit.
??

I looked at SmartOS [1] last year, it wasn't ready for my needs then.  I
would be interested to know where it is at now as I may consider it too.

So far, my evaluation has mostly been on paper - been busily narrowing down options to a manageable few for evaluation - which is coming soon.

What I've concluded so far is:
- open solaris based - good parentage - and open-solaris (illumos) in general seems to have reached serious viability - Joyent, the folks behind SmartOS seem pretty savvy, are using SmartOS as the core of their commercial offering, and seem to have some good traction
- fairly active community (both illumos and SmartOS)
- ZFS, DTrace, Zones - a nice start (DRBD and Xen are still nice-to-haves - kind of what're keeping me on Linux)
- seems like it passes all the initial hurdles for use in production

More when I've put it through some paces.

Miles