Way OT: Re. lines of code [was Re: implicit linkage]

Chris Bannister wrote:
On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:14:29PM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 02:48:55PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 19:02:08 +0100 Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> wrote:
On 12/10/14 18:13, John Hasler wrote:
You have no problem with an 1800 line function?
I have a problem with 1800 line functions in general;
I have no problem with an 1800 line function.

*What* 1800 line function? The commit URI that was shared was an 1894-line
*file* with a large function definition starting at line 638 and ending at
1890. That's a 1252-line function.
mmm? 1800 vs. 1252 ?

30 years ago, when we still read printouts, 60 lines was considered
the ideal max because that's what would fit on a page.

Nowadays, we use a screen, but 60 lines is hard on the eyes (9 pt or
so), so 40 lines is a good screen-full. But it turns out, with being
about to scroll quickly, that 60 lines is still not hard to reach.
Moreover, 60 lines seems to be a pretty good average for what an
experienced coder can keep in his head.
LOC is a silly way to measure anyway. You could put all the code on one
line --- PITA to read, but hey! it's only one line of code! :)

Go Perl.
Go APL.
:-)