Re: [exim4] Testing and making sense of smtp output

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:26:02 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 13 Oct 2014 at 04:12:04 +0200, lee wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> writes:

> > > snip
> > >
> > > Debian's exim4 will take the contents of /etc/mailname over the
> > > dns name by default. I'd recommend putting the fqdn that you want
> > > exim to use there.
> >
> > You can also specify it in exims' configuration.  Unless you do have
> > good reason to do so, I'd advise against it and let exim use the
> > host name (which the automatic configuration which I don't exactly
> > recommend hopefully lets exim use unless you tell it otherwise).
>
> The HELO cannot be specified using dpkg-reconfigure. It is taken from
> /etc/hosts.

Just to clarify slightly further, it can be *explicitly* specified by
editing exim4 config files, which then overrides any implied source,
and with suitable additional work, can be specified differently for
different 'mail from' domains.

--
Joe