Re: alternative file systems (was: Re: lvm: creating a snapshot)

http://zfsonlinux.org/faq.html#WhatKernelVersionsAreSupported

On October 10, 2014 9:20:50 PM EDT, lee <lee@yagibdah.de> wrote:
John Holland <jholland@vin-dit.org> writes:

I'm having very good results using their repo and DKMS system to build
support into kernel modules. It's very easy to set up. I'm using it
with Linux 3.2.0.

Does it work with Debians 3.16 kernels?

The license of ZFS makes it impossible to be part of
the kernel per se. The DKMS system is well known for supporting kernel
modules for video and wireless hardware among others.

So there isn't really any way to tell whether it works or not? Which
kernel version is ZFS based on/for?

Btrfs wouldn't let me do RAID-5 --- perhaps 3.2 kernels are too old for
that?

They need to get these license issues fixed ...