Re: segfaults and error 4 in ld-2.13.so with soffice.bin and kate

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014, Gary Roach wrote:
> Thanks for your help. As suggested, I first ran debsum on kate and
> libreoffice. All check sums were OK.

It's most likely not libreoffice or kate itself, but one of its
dependencies. Something like:

aptitude search -F '%p' '?reverse-Depends(libreoffice)~i'|xargs debsums -c;

> I then ran the reverse-Depends as suggested above on kate. This
> cleared the problem. Kate now works fine. The reverse-Depends run on
> Libreoffice returned - E: Couldn't configure pre-depend dpkg:amd64 for
> libreoffice-common:amd64, probably a dependency cycle.

aptitude reinstall '?reverse-Depends(libreoffice)~i~not(~name(dpkg))'

You might have to repeat the ~not() bit if there are other packages
involved in a dependency cycle.

Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves
exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves
only the unanimity of the graveyard.
 -- Justice Roberts in 319 U.S. 624 (1943)