[SOLVED] x-terminal-emulator options not working

I wrote:

> I have tried several documented options to x-terminal-emulator, and I
> find that they have absolutely no effect.  For example:
>
>   x-terminal-emulator --geometry 80x72
>   x-terminal-emulator --title=WHY

OK, I solved the problem.  Here's how I figured it out:

patrick@laptop:~$ which x-terminal-emulator
/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
patrick@laptop:~$ ll /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Mar  4  2014 /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator ->
/etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
patrick@laptop:~$ ll /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Mar  4  2014
/etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator -> /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.wrapper
patrick@laptop:~$ ll /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.wrapper
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1394 Jul  2  2008 /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.wrapper

Then I looked at the /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.wrapper script and saw that
it was a Perl script that looked for options with a *single* dash, and
mapped them to the double-dash version, and passed those to the
gnome-terminal program.

For example, if you run:

x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x72

That ends up running: