x-terminal-emulator options not working

I have tried several documented options to x-terminal-emulator, and I
find that they have absolutely no effect.  For example:

  x-terminal-emulator --geometry 80x72
  x-terminal-emulator --title=WHY
  x-terminal-emulator --working-directory=/home/patrick/project

I even tried a deliberately invalid option, and it didn't complain:

  x-terminal-emulator --invalid-option-right

I found one option that works though:

  x-terminal-emulator -e vi myfile

I would like to write a script that brings up two adjacent terminal
windows with specific sizes, but I cannot figure out how to do it
because x-terminal-emulator ignores many of the options which are
documented in its man page.

Does anyone have any idea why x-terminal-emulator is behaving so badly
for me, and how I can fix it?

-- Patrick