Re: implicit linkage (was: Re: Effectively criticizing decisions you disagree with in Debian)

 Hi.

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 17:35:00 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 23:20:34 +0400
> Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Hi.
> >
> > On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 20:47:36 +0300
> > Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [huge snip]
>
> > > No, that was just for the "I'm sole user of this system, why would
> > > I need this logind stuff?" crowd.
> >
> > Thanks, I'm perfectly aware why I don't need logind - it does not
> > solve any of the problems I need to solve. Same for it's predecessor,
> > ConsoleKit.
> > If I ever need a computer with the multiple X servers running
> > simultaneously - I'll consider using logind.
>
> Am I missing something. If I needed multiple X servers, wouldn't I just
> CLI log into different users on Ctrl+Alt+F2 and Ctrl+Alt+F3, and run
> startx from each?

That's one way of doing it, sure. An old way, and a convenient one,
but it's somewhat cruel to expect from the average user these days.
An alternative would be some kind of a Display Manager (even venerable
xdm will suffice).

But that's not the point. The point is the following scenario:

1) A single shared PC with 2 users just to keep it simple.

2) User Alice logs in and starts browsing the Internet and listening
some music.

3) User Alice goes away, but keeps her session in place, locking the
screen.

4) User Bob logs in another X session.

5) User Bob does not share Alices' music tastes, yet he's unable to
shut off Alices' music as he's the different user. So, unless Bob has
root password - he's doomed (pun intended) to listen the music he does
not like.

Presumably that scenario is something that logind has to overcome.

Reco