Re: lvm: creating a snapshot

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014, lee wrote:
> Well, who can afford that? Someone who can doesn't need to swap
> drives.

I've upgraded the drive capacity in machines on multiple occasions
because drives have gotten cheaper... but we don't have enough funding
to afford replacing the computers at the same time.

> How do I merge VGs that have different extent sizes?

Change the extent size using vgchange, and then vgmerge them.

> The snapshots are to back up guests in vg_guests.  They must go into the
> free space available in vg_mydata.  Other than that, there's a 16GB swap
> partition (/dev/sda2) currently used by one of the guests.
>
> Both sda and sdb are logical RAID volumes.  Dom0 is on /dev/sda1.
>
> As you can see, it's a very straightforward and logical set up, except
> for the swap partition which is way too large for dom0 and thus has been
> re-assigned to a guest that actually requires it.  The only problem is
> LVM which doesn't let me make snapshots.

OK. This sounds like you can just disable the swap on /dev/sda2
(swapoff), pvcreate /dev/sda2; vgextend /dev/mapper/vg_guests /dev/sda2;

Do your snapshots, and whatever else you need, then you can vgreduce
/dev/mapper/vg_guests /dev/sda2; and reset your swap if you need to.

Alternatively, you can make the physical extents the same (probably
using vgchange on vg_mydata to make the size 16M), inactivate all of the
volumes of vg_guests, vgmerge it, and then make snapshots.

> > Volume groups don't reside on partitions or devices. They encompass
> > physical volumes which do.
>
> Physical volumes do not reside on partitions or devices. They provide
> them.

This is incorrect. A physical volume (LVM) sits on top of a block
device, which is usually a partition (or an entire disk).

"The trouble with you, Ibid" he said, "is that you think you're the
biggest bloody authority on everything"
 -- Terry Pratchet _Pyramids_ p146