Re: Proposal: An alternative to mailing lists which isn't a forum (attn. Jerry)

Miles Fidelman wrote:
Miles Fidelman wrote:
Miles Fidelman wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 10/10/2014 10:01 AM, softwatt wrote:
On 10/10/2014 02:27 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
I also read this
mail list via NNTP (easier to keep track of threads)

This is perfect for me. But information on the net is scarce and I
don't
know where to begin. I know that I can access linux.debian.* and read
stuff, but that would require a -often paid- Usenet account.

Is there an open readonly server specifically for Debian? Mozilla does
this (news.mozilla.org)

There are 4 ways to read the list:

  - Email when subscribed to the list.
  - A Web browser viewing the archives, which are public.
  - Usenet with Network News (Transfer|Transport) Protocol, NNTP.
  - The mail-to-news gateways linux.debian.*

I guess my question is how to do the third one.
Thanks in advance.

You don't need to use a paid server.  There are plenty of free ones
available.  Personally, I use eternal-september.com.  It's been pretty
solid for me and contains all of the newsgroups I want.  No binary
newsgroups, but I can life with that.

You can't post to Debian from there (because it's just a mirror of the
mailing list), but you can post to real newsgroups.

Note that a lot of list-to-usenet gateway software can be
bi-directional, depending on administrative settings.

As someone pointed out, debian-user is gatewayed to gmane - which, in
turn, EXPOSES AN NNTP FEED.

Point your newsreader at nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user

If this gets to the list, then one can post through it as well.

Looks like this DID get to the list - so you can read and post through
gmane's USENET i/f.  But... it looks like gmane actually posts via
email, not nntp - and the first time you do so, it sends you an email
to confirm your email address.  As far as users are concerned, it
doesn't matter - it all just works -- and, I think, it seems to
satisfy a lot of what the OP was asking for.

Meanwhile, it's not at all clear whether the list-nntp gateway is
bi-directional or not - there's not a lot to be found via google, and
all of what I find is pretty ancient.

I'll ask around a bit and report back what I find.

Sent an email off to the debian listmaster asking about the gateway.

Meanwhile - there seems to be an ancient, possibly unmaintained
list-mail gateway -  robomod@news.nic.it - which moderates the linux.*
newsgroup heirarchy.  In order to post through it, you need to register
by subscribing to the email listlinux-gate@lists.bofh.it -- at

It seems to be running - but... when I tried to post a message via the
groups.google.com usenet reader - I got an error message from the robot
saying that I need to subscribe -- even though I had just subscribed. So
it's running, but the posting interface does not work, at least as far
as google groups is concerned.

Jerry: might be an interesting experiment to see if you can post via
eternal-september.com - after subscribing to linux-gate.

Miles Fidelman

I bit the bullet and set up an nntp account with eternal-september.org - let's see if this gets through with mfidelman@meetinghouse.net as my email address (which is registered with the linux-gate robot).

Miles