Re: Proposal: An alternative to mailing lists which isn't a forum

On 10/10/2014 3:15 AM, softwatt wrote:
> On 10/09/2014 11:40 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>> Didn't you just describe Usenet?
>
> Hmm, I am not sure I have.
> I have no experience with Usenet, but after some searching, I think that
> Usenet is a lot more complex than this. Feel free to correct me if i'm
> wrong though.
>
> The main difference I found (quoted from Wikipedia):
>
> When a user posts an article, it is initially only available on that
> user's news server. Each news server talks to one or more other servers
> (its "newsfeeds") and exchanges articles with them. In this fashion, the
> article is copied from server to server and should eventually reach
> every server in the network.

Yup.  It's known as a "mesh network".  In most cases, it only takes a
few minutes for a message to get around the world.  I also read this
mail list via NNTP (easier to keep track of threads), and often I will
get messages on my Usenet server before I get them via email.  I just
can't respond via the newsgroup.

> Also,  do any Usenet clients implement PGP?

Since many of the Usenet clients are also email clients, they implement
PHP as well as they do with email.

Jerry