Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:32:12 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 10:00:59AM +0100, Joe wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 18:35:22 +1300
> > Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> > > How have you got yours configured? fetchmail connects using the
> > > pop3 protocol in my configuration.
> > >

> > Yes, and it then passes on the mail to the system MTA using SMTP, by
> > default. It doesn't have to, it can also use sockets.
> >
> > To move the mail to another machine, particularly a non-*nix one,
> > it's easiest to stick with SMTP. If you're mixing directly-received
> > email with POP-collected email, again SMTP is the simplest
> > interface, all incoming email will be processed in the same way.
>
> Have a look at the '-m' option. No MTA needed.

Yes, I know there are alternatives to the default. SMTP Works For Me. I
only actually use the POP3 collection for email from my ISP, of which
there are very few, but they won't send the mail by SMTP. But it's
convenient if it enters the system the same way as all my other mail,
through exim4.

--
Joe