Re: implicit linkage (was: Re: Effectively criticizing decisions you disagree with in Debian)

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 08:36:23 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed. And one of the problems with computers is that people want to
> believe that computers can make complexities go away.
>
> Some complexities you can encapsulate or hide, or expose in an
> organized manner so that that are easier to deal with. Others, no.

And many times, the complexities you create trying to hide other
complexities are worse than the originals. Every single car I've owned
that had 60K miles *and* had electronic doors and windows had at least
one malfunctioning lock or window.

I think another example is Windows. In the name of "User Friendly" or
"Intuitive", they've made computer use a guessing game.

I can't switch to an OpenBSD desktop because OpenBSD's virtual machines
are badly broken, but in every other respect, if you want to see
something that's predictable in its minimalism, look at OpenBSD. Every
bit of configuration is easily done from an editor, and there's little
complexity beyond the complexity of the original problem domain.

SteveT