systemd and initrd and /usr

Hi folks,

I read, that systemd requires /usr and /usr/local mounted to initrd.

How is that to be done?

My system has a luks-encrypted partition, which is /dev/mapper/usr and when
encryption is opened by enetering the correct passphrase, it will be mounted
to /usr.

I do not understand the policy behind systemd. As far as I know, It is
historical in uinices, that each folder like /bin, /sbin, /var, /usr etc. is
residing on its own partition. This is from the time of SCSI-drives (as you
can have 16 drives on a controller).

Does the new policy of systemd mounting to initrd sweping this rule away
?

Or can I still use seperated partitions vor /var, /usr and /home with the new
systemd? I know, it is working, yes, but I get errors because of /usr.

Woulsd be nice, if someone could explain the new policies and why you do this
what you do.

Thank you very much for teaching me.

Best

Hans