Re: question about systemd

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 10:16:47 -0400
Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 10/8/2014 10:36 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> > If what you did works for everybody when Jessie goes stable, you've
> > just singlehandedly ended this whole argument.
>
> Not really.
>
> Just because it can be done easily now, doesn't mean it will be as
> easy
> - or even possible - a year or more from now - and I think *that* is
> the overriding concern of people who express legitimate concerns.

I see your point, Tanstaafl. Let me restate...

"If what you did works for everybody when Jessie goes stable, you've
just singlehandedly reduced the urgency of this whole argument."

It gives us time. Time to see if what I, and probably you, suspect of
Red Hat, comes true, and if so, will Linux people rebel or go along. It
gives us time to explore other other options, be it non-systemd
distros, *BSD, or *ugh* Mac. It gives us time to see just how bad
systemd will be technically, with everything interconnected. Time to
see how one bad dbus-using program will bolix up the whole computer.

It's quite a bit better than "You must either ditch Linux, use
systemd, or use incredibly old software, by spring 2015."

You're right: In an ideal world, hoop-jumps like this never would have
been necessary. But in late 2014, at least James' process, if it works
broadly, gives us some breathing room.

SteveT