Re: question about systemd

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 09:45:02 +0100
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> I think the real issue is that nobody likes maintaining sysvinit
> scripts. It's quite right that the job of running a piece of software
> should be the responsibility of the upstream software writers, not the
> distribution package maintainer, but the very existence of nasty
> complicated sysvinit scripts surely means that systemd must somehow
> accomplish the same things.
>
> If some of the complications of the init script could be pushed back
> into the application code, I'd have thought that would have been done
> long ago. Conversely, if a few systemd functions can replace the init
> script, then surely the script was over-complicated to start with. And
> if the widespread use of systemd elsewhere means that upstream writers
> *have* to take on much of the job that an init script used to do, the
> init script could be greatly simplified, in some cases to a generic
> one.

Here's where casting a wider net solves a lot of the problem. Yes, I've
always considered init scripts to be spooky. And *one* way around them
is systemd, if you want its problems. I suppose another way around them
could be the upstream people somehow sewing run functionality into
their code, but that complicates their code and makes their code
entangled, just like systemd.

Me, I'm a huge fan of daemontools for starting and maintaining a lot of
my processes that don't need to start at the very first hint of boot.
"Init scripts" (shellscript called run) for daemontools are very simple
shellscripts to run them, with *no* code for stop, reload, etc, because
daemontools' svc command does all that stuff.

I think if you wanted daemons runlevel specific, you'd need to write
that into the daemontools run script, but I'm not sure how many people
still use runlevels anyway. Most desktop people always boot to 5, and
it wouldn't violate the sensibilities of server people to boot to 3 and
then run startx, if they wanted GUI.

And of course, nosh could replace sysvinit or the PID 1 portions of
systemd or upstart with a daemontools superset. By the way, I just read
on the nosh web page that they can provide
"nosh-systemd-services_1.7_amd64.deb", which supposedly supports nosh
in daemontools compatibility mode under systemd.

SteveT