Re: Newbie friendly security and firewall docs (cookbook?)

lee wrote:
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> writes:

I'm aware of "Securing Debian Manual". I'm looking for more an
introductory document.

I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Unfortunately that makes two of us. But I'm seeing a definition evolve as incoming replies nibble around the edge of my ignorance.

It's a good idea to have at least
a good basic understanding about how a firewall works before you set one
up.  From there, you could look at tools like shorewall.

I perhaps know just enough to be dangerous. I think I can follow descriptions that tool-makers say about what their tool does. But I might not recognize that it does *NOT* do something I need.

There's also a GUI application the name of which I forgot which allows
you to create firewalls.  I found it surprisingly good.  Fwbuilder?

There is a page (wiki?) which lists URLs of related tools. When I first came across it, I found the lack of adequate descriptions so severe as to make it useless. If it was a wiki page maybe I now know enough to select useful information from the URLs and add it to the wiki.

I still have a very good tutorial that uses iptables and helps you to
learn how to build a firewall.  I've archived it for reference in 2003.
I could send it to you by email if you like (760kB).

YES. Please.