Re: mounting local hd from live usb, was 'root account inaccessible'

On Ma, 07 oct 14, 11:29:34, John Aten wrote:

> All the following was done in the live system:
>
> sudo fdisk -l returns only /dev/sda1
>
> blkid returns /dev/sda1 (whose label and UUID confirm that it is the
> USB drive) and /dev/loop0.

This is not good, your live system doesn't detect your harddisk. How old
is this live system?

> I found the mountpoint of /dev/loop0 using mount, but it appears to be
> completely empty. Well, the usual directories, /bin, /boot, /home and
> so on, are there, but they are empty.
>
> I ran cat /proc/partitions, and it returned entries for loop0, sda and
> sda1. I attempted to mount /dev/sda, and got the error that it was
> already mounted or the mount point was busy. The output of mount only
> lists sda1 being mounted. But I guess sda is a partition on a device,
> not an actual device.

Just for your info, it's the other way around: /dev/sda is the usb drive
and /dev/sda1 is the first partition. In theory it's possible to have no
partition at all, so you would mount /dev/sda, but then /dev/sda1
wouldn't exist.

Kind regards,
Andrei