Re: Newbie friendly security and firewall docs (cookbook?)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 14:28:11 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 06 October 2014 13:38:45 Richard Owlett wrote:
> > Yes, but not for this project. I'm from the CPM-80 era and think
> > default Linux installs are just *TOO* big and want to carry small
> > to possibly an extreme.
>
> And you're considering _KDE_?!
>
> Lisi

Yes. KDE is a resource hog, is a hopelessly entangled monolith, fails
intermittently on many distributions, and brings older hardware to its
knees.

With all the ridiculous features removed, KDE is basically a Win9x user
interface (and personally I like those). To get a more svelte machine
with a similar user interface, you could use LXDE (lightweight and very
stable) or Xfce (midweight, not as stable, but has a lot of nice
features including multiple tables). If you want to go even skinnier,
and have your full screen available, and are willing to do everything
with the keyboard, consider Openbox, which is lighter than LXDE and has
no panel (taskbar in W9x-speak). You'll need to add several
productivity-enhancing hotkeys into your ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml file
to make Openbox a highly productive environment.

I use Openbox on my desktop, and LXDE on all my laptops.

SteveT