Re: Newbie friendly security and firewall docs (cookbook?)

Stuart Longland wrote:
On 06/10/14 21:11, Richard Owlett wrote:
I intend to set it up as multi-boot:
   1. whatever Windows is on it
   2. Squeeze LTS with Gnome2 - I like it and believe he will like its
human interface.
   3. Wheezy with KDE - Wheezy is more uptodate and I suspect would want
some KDE specific applications.

Have you had a look at XFCE?

Yes, but not for this project. I'm from the CPM-80 era and think default Linux installs are just *TOO* big and want to carry small to possibly an extreme.

At my workplace I dusted off this old P4-era laptop

*CHUCKLE* Guess what I was sent. A Sony VAIO with 2.8 GHz P4 w/ 512 MB RAM.
Yesterday I installed Squeeze with Gnome2 - performance not too bad.
Today I added Wheezy with KDE - not sure I would call it acceptable.

and initially tried
running Ubuntu 14.04 with the Unity desktop but found that, in their
wisdom, Canonical had stripped Unity of its 2D mode and had LLVM trying
to make up for the rather lacklustre (by today's standards) video card
in the laptop.

I installed XFCE in place and found the machine ran a lot better.  The
UI in XFCE probably isn't too dissimilar to what you might have seen in
Gnome2, and might be a suitable alternative if Gnome 3 isn't your taste,
and it saves having to manage two versions of Debian on the same
machine.  (I'm not sure if Gnome2 is available under Wheezy, I suspect not.)

It's not. I've seen references to something aimed at those preferring Gnome2 over Gnome3. It may make it to the Jessie repository, I haven't followed it closely.

http://www.xfce.org/

I've also looked at LXDE for my personal project. Will have to load them both on my test box.

Regards,