Re: Two Z Shells

On 10/3/14, 6:31 PM, "John Aten" <welcome.to.eye.o.rama@gmail.com> wrote:

>* PGP Signed by an unknown key
>
>Hi all,
>
>I just installed z shell through:
>
>#apt-get install zsh zsh-doc
>
>Before installing, I looked for it with which and whereis. I got nothing
>from which, (it now lists /usr/bin/zsh) and when I typed whereis zsh it
>only returned:
>
># whereis zsh
>zsh:
>#
>
>I notice now that /etc/shells lists two Z shells;
>
>/bin/zsh
>/usr/bin/zsh
>
>I was wondering why this might be?
>
>Thanks,

If a user has a login startup script or shell scripts that refer to
/bin/zsh, or to /usr/bin/zsh, they can be run without having to modify
them, after copying to the new system.

Note that there is only one file containing code.  As mentioned by Alexis,
the names you mention are links to the true executable, so there is only
one Z shell present on your system.

Bob