wifi password problem solved, or at least, worked around.

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 21:28:35 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> Near the beginning of September, I reported suddenly being unable to
> connect to wifi in coffee shops.  Around the same time, I has done a
> routine upgrade to my jessie system; I do this every week or two.
>
> Everything had been working fine before.

and is working again, though I now use a different wifi connectin tool.

> I am now unable to connect to any hot spot that has a password, even if
> I know the password.  Luckily, my wifi at home is open -- no password
> required -- so I can still use wifi here.
>
> It was suggested to me that network-manager might be to blame and that I
> should try wifi-radar instead.  No luck here, either.  At home,
> everything's OK; elsewhere, no dice.

Installing wicd, and (uninstalling network-manager) worked.

It may or may not be relevant that network-manager uses systemd to do the
permissions check on the user requesting the wifi connection, nor do I
know whether this is something new.

-- hendrik