Re: 32/64 bit ... downloading install images

On Sat 04 Oct 2014 at 09:47:46 -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I want to download a jessie weekly build for 64 bit PC.
>
> What is the appropriate architecture on the downloads?
>
> My machine has nothing to do with amd but that is the only thing
> listed as 64 bit on the pages including jessie or testing.
>
> However, at https://www.debian.org/distrib/  the starting page for
> `Getting Debian, at least the netinst images are separated into:
>
> 64-bit PC netinst.iso   or  32-bit PC netinst.iso
>
> These are only wheezy far as I can tell.
>
> Surprisingly that page gives no reference to jessie downloads.

The core of Debian's business is to produce and distribute a solid,
well-tested, secure and reliable OS. That page exists to advertise that
product.

> You would never know there were jessie downloads by looking at
> `Getting Debian' link.

If you want to promote a solid, well-tested, secure  and reliable OS for
people to use it makes little sense to advertise a less desirable and
perhaps unsuitable product on the same page.

> To find anything about debian jessie one must go to:
>
>      https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

Read in conjunction with

   https://www.debian.org/devel/testing

we discover testing is for users who like a little spice in their lives
and are willing to make a little bit of an effort to seek it out.

> And if you follow the link to testing you will find no reference
> whatever to 64-bit PC.

"amd64" and "mult-arch".