Re: 32/64 bit ... downloading install images

On 10/04/2014 11:12 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

My machine has nothing to do with amd

Well, AMD created the x86-64 architecture we are all using (Intel's
IA-64 never became really popular), so actually it does ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd64

That is interesting.  I would not have guessed at that fact.  As we
see online many even thousands of bits that separate architecture in a
sort of quickie non exacting way... as being amd PC PowerPC (maybe
more)

So the unwary reader is led to believe that amd means an architecture
different from `pc'.

Thanks for the clarity.

It's a geek thing, once you know the "History of Computing", so just go with it. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256