Re: Enabling a second graphic card

Le 01.10.2014 16:39, berenger.morel@neutralite.org a écrit :
Hello.

I have recently acquired 2 (identical, 4/3 shaped) screens, so I
combined them with my current favorite screen on a computer which have
2 graphic cards, but it seems that Debian did not enabled the second
card.

I have tried it on a temporary Ubuntu install, and it works fine out
of the box, so Debian must be able to use that 2nd card too. I tried
to install a more recent kernel from backports on Debian just in case,
but still no luck. Now that I'm thinking about it, I did not checked
what Ubuntu uses as driver, so if it uses NVidia, this could be the
reason, since I'm using nouveau on Debian. But I think that Ubuntu
does not install proprietary blobs by default?
I tried to find a xorg.conf in /etc on both system, no one had it.

There is no Internet access from that computer, so packages are
installed from the Ubuntu DVD I bought 2-3 months ago (14.04 IIRC) and
from a Debian DVD set I have downloaded at work (7.5, DVDs 1 to 9
IIRC).

Does anyone knows if nouveau is supports a configuration with 2
graphic cards, or do I have to install NVidia's drivers to do the job?
Does someone have some links to documents which could explain how to
enable that 2nd card?

Note that I think the second card is disabled, because after doing
quick searches in /sys, I discovered that what I suppose to be the
second card directory have a file named "enabled" which contains "0".
But I'm not expert at all when it comes to kernel stuff.

Ok, I have installed nvidia, and let it write the xorg.conf file. Now, I hope I will be more able to tinker those files than when I went to Debian from Windows...

Anyway, it seems that NVidia starts a second Xorg server for the second card (I enabled it through the graphic tool). That second server is not seen by the first one, so xrandr is not able to describe what I have plugged into it, thus i3 can't manage the extra screen. But at least, I have some progress, if I only need to learn xorg configuration's arcane, I should be able to achieve this step of my goal.