Re: Fwd: Re: cron in UTC?

2014/09/30 21:41 "Henrique de Moraes Holschuh" <hmh@debian.org>:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> > > I used to maintain fcron in Debian, however SELinux support was not upstream
> > > yet, broke, and I had no time to fix it.  Russell Coker tried to help giving
> > > me an account on a SELinux box, but the real problem was that more human
> > > power was needed, and the RFH bug received no response.
> > >
> > > So I ended up agreeing that it should be removed, because the package was
> > > bitrotting fast.
> > >
> > > Reintroducing fcron in Debian will require some work to be done properly,
> > > and past history tells me to not do it at all unless we have at least
> > > *three* people willing to enter team maintainership commited to the effort.
> > >
> > > upstream is friendly, but fcron is in maintenance mode.  If you want
> > > anything done, you will have to write the code and submit upstream.
> >
> > I've just cloned the repository from upstream; it looks sensible, so if
> > you're willing to coordinate it, I'm willing to devote some time to help
> > maintain the Debian effort.
>
> I could do not much more than coordinate it at this point, so I suggest we
> find a third person before any uploads are done.
>
> You'll want to get the last Debian fcron package to inspect the local
> changes and parametrization, some of it will have to be modernized and
> forward-ported to recent fcron.
>
> http://snapshot.debian.org/package/fcron/3.0.1-1.3/
>
> We'll have to dig out the old bug reports from the BTS as well, some of them
> have to be addressed before the package is reintroduced to unstable.
> Unfortunately, since the bugs were "auto-closed" by the fcron removal, we
> have to go over all of them and reopen those that would still apply.
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;src="">

Should I use this as my excuse to actually join the dev team, in spite of my misgivings about systemd and the API creep?

Is your third going to need to run jessie with systemd? How much and what kind of hardware/OS resources does he or she need to be able to bring to the table?

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.
All is a stream of text