Re: Cannot boot when /sbin/init is linked to /lib/systemd/systemd, but works with ../lib/systemd/systemd

An update on my (lack of) progress.

On September 21, 2014 10:45:44 PM Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> Is anyone else in the same boat (absolute symlink fails even though / is not
> nfs)?

As several have posted: clearly this does work for most people.  Indeed, I
have a netbook that works just fine, but my desktop does not.

Thanks to Sven Joachim for pointing me towards usr/share/initramfs-tools/init
and the possibility of an old diversion (never would have thought of that!).
There is not an old diversion.  But that file is indeed the source of the error
message that I see (Target filesystem doesn't have the requested /sbin/init):

if [ -n "${init}" ]; then
        if ! validate_init "$init"; then
                echo "Target filesystem doesn't have requested ${init}."
                init=
        fi
fi

I have the very same file on my netbook, which does work.  I have invested a
fair bit of time looking at the differences between the two systems but have
not found anything yet.

I can also report that the new version 0.117 of initramfs-tools doesn't change
the outcome.

As before: any ideas are welcome!

Thanks,
-Steve