Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

Ahoj,

Dňa Sun, 28 Sep 2014 11:38:16 -0400 Steve Litt
<slitt@troubleshooters.com> napísal:

> Don't forget to try the various BSDs. As long as your BSD can run qemu
> or another VM, you can use Debian for that one or two programs that
> don't work under your chosen BSD. I think that with a bind mount you
> can even read and write the same filesystem your BSD writes, but am
> not sure.

For now, i want to stay on Linux yet, more precise, i will stay on
Debian until next stable go out and things about next direction
will be more clear. For now i have hold systemd (and related) packages
in versions, where my home (and testing) system works, but i am
preparing myself to change, when it will needed.

> For me, Funtoo just seemed like too much work, not just at install
> time, but every time I added new software. Also, unlike Mandrake,
> Mandriva, Ubuntu and Debian, with Funtoo you *really need to* pay
> attention to every upgrade notice, or you could totally mess up your
> system. For those of us wanting a desktop to do lots of non-IT things,
> that's just too much maintenance time.

Yes, it is time consuming - especially in learning stage (and in
VBox) :-P But with Debian (testing) you need to take care about updates
too - my daughter can tell what happens, when she did updates without
care - some packages was uninstalled due dependencies changes, but yes,
not whole system was damaged, only some things was not working.

But what i noticed, in funtoo is very simple to set the gnome and
systemd (and many other things) out of system by the USE flags, then
these functions (and libraries) are not compiled at all and this i see
as big advantage (which is close to my - install only what you are
using), which cannot be simple accomplished with Debian.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk