Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 15:21:13 +0200
Slavko <linux@slavino.sk> wrote:

> Ahoj,
>
> Dňa Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:56:08 +0200 Martin Steigerwald
> <Martin@lichtvoll.de> napísal:
>
> > But my challenge to all of you who don´t want systemd as default in
> > Debian still is this:
> >
> > *Stop* complaining and *start* acting.
>
> You are right. For now it seems, that there is no chance to get DE
> without systemd in debian and no change is expected (at least) in near
> future. Then i test two scenarios now:
>
> 1. switch to another distro - for now i am testing funtoo, if is here
>    possible to have all my apps chain without systemd and it seems,
>    that it is possible (BTW it is my first attempt with sourced
> distro) 2. stay on debian and maintain own versions of the packages,
> which (useless for me) depends on the systemd – i tried it with dbus
> and it is possible, but i afraid, if my system's knowledge will be
>    enough with all needed packages.
>
> I afraid too, that the 2. will not be a temporary task and number
> affected packages will be grow, then i don't think, that it is real
> solution for me.
>
> regards

Don't forget to try the various BSDs. As long as your BSD can run qemu
or another VM, you can use Debian for that one or two programs that
don't work under your chosen BSD. I think that with a bind mount you
can even read and write the same filesystem your BSD writes, but am not
sure.

For me, Funtoo just seemed like too much work, not just at install
time, but every time I added new software. Also, unlike Mandrake,
Mandriva, Ubuntu and Debian, with Funtoo you *really need to* pay
attention to every upgrade notice, or you could totally mess up your
system. For those of us wanting a desktop to do lots of non-IT things,
that's just too much maintenance time.

I'm working on an experimental with PC-BSD sometimes, late at night. A
little slow, but pretty good.

SteveT