Debian policy on alternate init systems

The Debian Policy Manual currently supports alternate init systems, and mentions upstart as an example. sysvinit scripts will continue to be required per policy. I got the opposite impression from the TC debate, where part of the justification (IIRC) for systemd was avoiding sysvinit maintenance. Since the policy remains, that argument did not prevail, even if their choice did, if I'm reading this correctly.

The relevant policies are 1.1: "Packages that do not conform to the guidelines denoted by must (or required) will generally not be considered acceptable for the Debian distribution." and 9.11: "any package integrating with other init systems must also be backwards-compatible with sysvinit by providing a SysV-style init script ..."

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html