Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

On 9/26/2014 5:08 PM, green wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote at 2014-09-26 14:18 -0500:
>> Change is certainly needed when any pimple face kid can edit and hide his
>> doings from a text log with nano. I think the change is necessary to harden
>> up our systems. Otherwise, Microsoft will become the only secure server OS,
>> as they don't mind hiding things at all.
>
> So, all other things being equal, binary logs are more secure than
> plain text logs.  Is that actually what you are saying?

Yes, binary logs *could be* more secure than plain text logs.

However, that's only a problem if your system is insecure.  If you have
properly secured your system, whether the log is text or binary is
immaterial - no one is going to hack it, anyway.

But binary logs are a real problem if you can't boot a system far enough
to read them.  Have you ever tried to read Windows event log if all you
can boot to is a Windows command line prompt, for instance?  It's impossible

Even if all you can get is a very basic system, commands like cat, tail
and similar are generally available - nothing fancy required.  These can
show your text logs.  But good luck trying to read a binary log.

Jerry