Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

John Hasler wrote:
Miles Fidelman writes:
If I'm an upstream developer, and I want my stuff to run on Debian, I
now have to include systemd init scripts (or the packagers do).
Very few packages need init scripts.

First of all, that's simply not true in the server world. Pretty much everything on our systems has init scripts.

When they are the Debian package
maintainer writes them no matter what init system is in use.

Again, in the real world of operations - not all code is installed from packages. There's an awful lot of ./configure; ./make install

  In any
case, Systemd reads sysvinit scripts.

In theory, and with limitations. Plus, I've seen an awful lot of bug reports in that regard.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Incompatibilities/ makes for some disconcerting reading, not the least of which is that it closes with: "Note that there are some areas where systemd currently provides a certain amount of compatibility where we expect this compatibility to be removed eventually."
And is dated 10/2013.

Debian's choice of Systemd as
default init imposes no requirements whatever on upstreams.

Right off the bat, the can't expect things to work the way they do now.

Miles Fidelman