Re: DNS Resolution and Short Names with Dots

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 04:56:17PM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Interstingly, libc6 switched back from eglibc to glibc sources just
> before 2.19-4.

The uptime on most of my systems is pretty high and it's possible that
through various dist-upgrades I've gone between eglibc and glibc without
rebooting.  I don't know of anything that needs to be "restarted" as far
as name resolution and gethostbyaddr()/getaddrinfo() are concerned,
though.

> > I took a peek at the source for glibc-2.19.  My addition of ndots:3
> > shouldn't have worked since the default is ndots:4.
> >
> > (destiny:10:56)% grep ndots resolv/resolv.h
> > 	unsigned ndots:4;		/* threshold for initial abs. query */
>
> In C syntax :4 is not an initialization value, it defines the variable
> as a bitfield of 4 bits inside a structure, allowing values between 0
> and 15. Check resolv/res_init.c instead. However the default value 1,
> as mentionned in resolv.conf manpage, seems to be unchanged for ages.

Ugg, I must have been crosseyed when I saw that.  : is obviously not =.
Thanks, it looks like the default has not changed.  Very strange.

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff
prox@prolixium.com