Re: DNS Resolution and Short Names with Dots

Mark Kamichoff a écrit :

>> If the change is in libc, it appears to be between 2.19-4 and 2.19-7.
>>
>> http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/g/glibc/glibc_2.19-11_changelog
>>
>> .. doesn't seem to indicate any resolver / DNS changes between those
>> versions, though.  I'll continue to research.

Interstingly, libc6 switched back from eglibc to glibc sources just
before 2.19-4.

> I took a peek at the source for glibc-2.19.  My addition of ndots:3
> shouldn't have worked since the default is ndots:4.
>
> (destiny:10:56)% grep ndots resolv/resolv.h
> 	unsigned ndots:4;		/* threshold for initial abs. query */

In C syntax :4 is not an initialization value, it defines the variable
as a bitfield of 4 bits inside a structure, allowing values between 0
and 15. Check resolv/res_init.c instead. However the default value 1, as
mentionned in resolv.conf manpage, seems to be unchanged for ages.