Re: bash vulnerability jessie

On 09/26/2014 at 11:56 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:

> After an `aptitude full-upgrade' this morning.  I still get the
> `VULNERABLE' answer to `x='() { :;}; echo VULNERABLE' bash -c :'
>
> I hope that is the correct string... (extracted while googling on
> vulnerability)

I've seen a few different ones, and that isn't any of them, but it seems
to work just as well as the "canonical" one which I've seen demonstrate
the vulnerability in the past.

> I did ssh to my user from the same shell I ran aptitude in to make
> sure I had a new login... but I still see `Vulnerable' in answer
> to the string above.

With what version of bash?

I just upgraded to 4.3-9.1, from current testing, which includes the
existing partial fix (a more complete one is apparently now in sid). I
retested with the same test command you listed, as well as with what I'd
seen the failyure on before, and it now shows as non-vulnerable.

> Incidentally I get that same `Vulnerable' answer to `ksh' as well.
> After googling a bit about ksh... I haven't really found solid
> info about whether ksh is a problem too.
>
> I was a little surprised to see so little mention of this bash
> thing here too.
>
> Is this bash vulnerability not really a major concern?

Security analysts say it's potentially a bigger problem than Heartbleed.
(It's going by the name "Shellshock" for handy reference, rather than
having to talk about "that bash vulnerability" or the like.)

In practice, if your computer doesn't run any services (such as a Web or
SSH server) that can be accessed from a non-trusted IP address (such as
the outside Internet), you're probably safe.

But almost every Debian install includes at least a SSH server, and if
you haven't gone out of your way to arrange otherwise, it can probably
be reached from the outside Internet by someone who knows the correct IP
address.

(Exactly which outside-accessible services do and don't expose the
vulnerability isn't very clear at the moment AFAIK, so it's better to
err on the safe side and assume they all do until evidence one way or
the other can be found.)

- --
   The Wanderer