Re: 'motion' does not save movies, only still pics

On 9/25/14, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> I tested 'motion' on Wheezy yesterday.  It detects motion and takes still
> shots, but it is not creating movies out of the still shots.
>
> I have set:
>
> # Use ffmpeg to encode mpeg movies in realtime (default: off)
> ffmpeg_cap_new on
>
> and
>
> # Gap is the seconds of no motion detection that triggers the end of an
> event
> # An event is defined as a series of motion images taken within a short
> timeframe.
> # Recommended value is 60 seconds (Default). The value 0 is allowed and
> disables
> # events causing all Motion to be written to one single mpeg file and no
> pre_capture.
> gap 60
>
> Can anybody confirm that movie output works on Wheezy?
>
> One thing that may be a factor in my case is that my test webcam is very
> slow.  I am only getting one picture every 2 or 3 seconds when motion is
> detected.  I have framerate set to 2 fps.  Maybe motion is aware that my
> pics are too far apart in time and is deciding not to combine them into a
> movie.

I can't help you with "motion" but I had a thought as I was reading
your predicament.. OpenShot will produce an mpeg video output of
multiple images if you find yourself up against a deadline or
something and need an alternative.

If motion is throwing all your images into one folder, it's as simple
as highlighting all and importing them together into a new project..
After that you do the same thing within the program to drag them onto
a "track" where you can play with how they are presented within your
final product...

I'll be happy to *try* to help shorten the learning curve if you end
up having to go that route.. I do understand that the point of your
request is ideally motion would be producing that format without
further intervention from outside software.

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* I comment, therefore I am (procrastinating elsewhere) *