Re: Messages from starting services while booting

On 9/25/14, Paul van der Vlis <paul@vandervlis.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Wheezy, and on some machines I see messages from starting
> services while booting, and on some machines I don't see them.
>
> Can somebody explain me how this works? I have the idea that I don't see
> messages on fast machines.
>
> And can I control this?  On some servers I like to see the messages from
> the services when the machine boots.

Can't explain the how's and why's but an Internet search just found
this at Debian Wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/bootlogd

Mine at /etc/default/bootlogd only has two lines (just changed mine to yes):

# Run bootlogd at startup ?
BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=no

If bootlogd's not installed, it's installable for *some* distros, if
not all. A dry run at upgrading here shows it would be 4MB involving
~17 packages** BUT am seeing reference to sysvinit-utils. Later
distros will surely reflect something else in place of that one *if*
this package even exists at that point.

As an aside, I'd be curious to hear if it's more or less files
involved in install/upgrade if anyone happens to poke around in the
same (again, *if* it even exists in later distros)....

Reading this search result page:

It looks like that MIGHT have shared what you're directly seeking:

Open "/etc/default/rcS" as root and you *should* find two lines similar to:

# be more verbose during the boot process
VERBOSE=no

If yours says "no", try changing it to yes and see what happens.....
or just try the log file first. That's my option as you can study at
your leisure.

Hope that helps.. :)

Cindy

** On the chance knowing them might help your search for how and why,
the ~17 packages affected during bootlogd install on *my* setup:
bootlogd console-setup-linux console-setup ifupdown initramfs-tools
initscripts keyboard-configuration klibc-utils libjson0 libklibc
libudev0 lsb-base netbase sysvinit-utils udev upstart util-linux

PS Searches to successfully land this kind of answer get tricky
sometimes. These came up first 2 results on the first shot with a
weirder than normal array of keywords:

debian how do i want to see messages at boot

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* I comment, therefore I am (procrastinating going out in the cold) *