Re: Debian/Linux equivalent of RDP session / remote X11 session

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:33:53 +0200
lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what's the Debian or Linux equivalent to MS Windows terminal server
> sessions through the remote desktop thing they have?
>
> I would like to be able to let a user work remotely in an X11 session
> (preferably with fvwm, if I have to xfce, if it can't be avoided gnome
> --- KDE only crashes in vncserver) on a VM running Debian.  The user
> can either get a thin client (which I'd have to buy) or an older Mac
> for a client system.  It would be an advantage if it was possible to
> do this transparently for the user.  It would also be nice if I could
> limit the total memory usage for that user.  The client is connected
> through 1GB LAN.  If Linux can be installed on the Mac, that might
> also be an option.
>
> So far, neither vncserver, nor freenx are ideal.  Vncserver is rather
> awkward, freenx is ancient.  LTSP seems way overdone for this and
> apparently requires suitable thin clients.

For a time, some years ago, I did some remote work from Windows, using
Cygwin and X forwarded over ssh, with individual X windows opening in
the Windows desktop. I would guess that's only appropriate for some
applications, and I'd have no way of knowing which now.

--
Joe