Re: Getting rid of that Skype completely and forever with a video chat solution under *my* control, any suggestion? (was: Re: Faking it with skype)

> That is no instruction I can give to my father. And you need a Skype 4.3
> binary then as well?
>
> I actually don´t care that much. I don´t use Skype regularily. But my father
> does. And these kind of instructions are fundamentally incompatible with
> him
> :). Skype could be something to bring him back to Windows. Maybe thats the
>
> hidden agenda of Microsoft. Make the new versions of Skype for Linux require
> more and more stuff… and require new versions… so people with to Linux.
> Anyway… this may be far fetched…
>
> Lets hope Skype 4.3 with PulseAudio will work for him, until an alternative
> like tox.im is ready. Maybe it is already, lets see what further testing
> reveals.
>
> Ciao,
If.....

If you are willing to spend some time, here what can be done.

If your father is using windows, then he just has to update skype. There is a
button for it, when he has started skype. I think, it is within the "help"
drop-down menu.

If he is using linux, then you might help him by connecting to his computer
via internet using the -X option of ssh (i.e. ssh -X hisusername
123.123.123.123).

If you have also root access, you can upload the binary to his computer or
download it to his computer by using a text webbrowser for example lynx.

If the binary of the 4.3 version is in his home, delete .Skype, then login
using the -X option of ssh with his account (ssh -X fathersusername
123.123.123.123). Doing so, you can start graphical things, just as if you are
sitting at his desktop.

Now skype should be started and you can login with his account and password
plus autlogin activated. Then just kill skype.

Next time, your father can use skype as usual.

If this does not work, you can of course install 4.3 package, but it can be,
that after next boot pulseaudio does not correct initialise the soundcard and
you have no sound at all! Your choice.

Good luck!

Hans
You might