Re: USB bootable debian stick wont boot on 890FXA-GD65 mobo.

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 19:56:04 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun 14 Sep 2014 at 21:21:37 +0300, Alexandros Prekates wrote:
>
> > I made many test but what is more significant ( i think)
> > is that the same usb stick with memtest86 (proposed from pendrive
> > as a testing case[1])  :
> >
> > but if following the debian installation instructions[2] i
> > execute:
> >
> > # cp debian.iso /dev/sdX
> > # sync
>
> This is a correct command. You can also do
>
>   cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX
>
> or
>
>   dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/sdX
>
> The usb stick has to be recognised by the OS, of course. dmesg will
> tell you whether it is.
>
> > After rebooting i see no messsage so ever, and the system boot from
> > hard disk.
>
> Shouldn't happen. Your machine is set up to boot from USB?
>
> > I checked usb stick with fdisk -l and the fs type is: W95 FAT32
> > and i can see debian files in the contents of the stick.
>
> Please give the output of 'fdisk -l'.
>
> > I tested debian-7-6-0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso
> > debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso
> > debian-testing-amd64-CD-1.iso
>
> It shouldn't make any difference, but how does a wheezy image go?

My BIOS has among other settings:
USB Controller:		ENABLED
USB Device Legacy Support:	ENABLED
Onboard USB 3.0 Controller:	ENABLED

and in the boot sequence i choose first:
either USB Generic STORAGE DEVICE
or 	USB: USB FLASH DRIVE PMAP

http://paste.debian.net/120890  for /var/log/syslog and fdisk info on
the machine with the mobo in question (i've already ubuntu installed on
the machine but want to dual boot with debian testing :-) ).