Chroot/Debootstrap Mechanisms (Was: terminal doesn't come up in Jessie Beta-1?)

On 9/13/14, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

> What level of Debian are you using?  Wheezy or Jessie?  My problems were
> occurring with the Jessie beta-1 fully updated to the latest everything.  So
> upgrading to a newer version of something isn’t an option without venturing
> into “experimental” territory.  I’d be willing to try something from an
> experimental repo — after all, this is a testing machine and I’m a tester by
> inclination.  But that doesn’t sound like what you were doing?  Am I
> misreading?
>
> Thanks!

You're welcome, Rick.. Wasn't sure if I should change the subject or
not. It seems to draw away from your problem so figured it should be
changed. :)

Yeah, I'm just the other side of ready to attempt testing. Soon. Very
soon. Life keeps getting in the way. Truthfully not sure what I've
got. The simple stuff, like determining version, eludes me often.. DID
miraculously just have uname come to mind so ended up with this
snippet from "uname -a":

3.8.0-34-generic #49~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 13 18:05:00 UTC 2013

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is stated under System Settings > Details. Between
that and what I've been finding on the Net last few days, I'm
officially confused as to what Debian release was used. Rumors hint
it's Wheezy but can't find fact. Even tried Wikipedia. ONE SINGLE
MENTION of Debian period within the entire content.

YES, am TRYING to switch to 100% Debian by name. That's sitting under
chroot but other stuff keeps taking priority. Brings me to the subject
line change and a DISCLAIMER up front: Apologies in advance if this
turns out to just be noise. Am sure I'm simply not yet understanding
the whole debooststrap/chroot process, but I keep getting this
"feeling" about it based on my experiences last couple weeks. :)

What you all have going. I don't know the right terminology to use to
ask.. Let me try it this way. If you're suddenly having a lot of
compatibility problems, are you working out of a root hierarchy or
instead out of something "embedded" via debootstrap or a similar
alternative? For that matter, even if you're working out of a natural
root hierarchy, do you maybe have another release "harmlessly"
embedded, possibly even forgotten under something like /var/chroot?

Reason I'm asking is I had an ah-ha moment last week where I realized
my successfully debootstrapped release was actively pulling at least
part of live sessions into its subdirectories. Couple days later just
happened to open /etc/fstab and see entries like /proc, /sys and /dev
pointing to the chroot directory. I recognize that as a debootstrap
installation check point so I had no problem seeing it. Instead am now
starting to wonder how much that might play into problems I've
suddenly been having.

Whatever problem I was having couple weeks ago was echoed in various
ways on the Net and always with people saying, BUT I DID *NOT* DO
THAT!" It boiled down to something about inconsistently mixing package
versions incompatibly across stable, testing, etc, releases..

Really got me to wondering about how much of the problems we're seeing
questioned on lists now MIGHT be somehow tied to the word "bootstrap"
and its derivatives *seeming* to appear more frequently across
listservs lately..

OR NOT. :)

Before sending this, I just hit up the Net again. What I'm seeing is
really starting to make me wonder about this.. I wonder now if some
notable number of recent problems don't just boil down to some of us
debootstrap "newbies" not commanding the process optimally, maybe
including simply not understanding the true power and reach of what
we've undertaken...

OR NOT. :D

Cindy :)

--