Re: need suggestion on Virtualization backup/DR site.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 08:33:39PM +0200, Bzzzz wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:57:57 +0500
> Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the input i really appreciate that. but i have a confusion
> > to clear. if i use direct rsync and rsync with Backuppc what is the
> > difference?
>
> First, backups are nightly compressed and same files are hardlinked,
> so keeping a looong history is not a problem at all (AFA you have
> enough free inodes; I's recommend XFS as the reception FS); 2nd,
> you can trigger another backup (or restore) whenever you want,
> 3rd if you have users, they can also trigger a backup/restore when
> needed from the http(s) backuppc interface, 4th as backups are
> presented as a tree which goes down to the file level, you can
> just B/R one file at a time if needed.

More reasons to use backuppc:

There's a handy web interface.
If the machine to be backed up isn't reachable, it tries again later (1
hour by default).
You can configure blackout periods, so no backups will take place during
certain hours.
You can override the blackout periods based on how old the latest backup
is.
There is an active email support list (backuppc-users@lists.sourceforge.net).

-Rob