Re: Multiple Video Drivers

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 01:50:06PM +0300, David Baron wrote:
> Had my old 32-bit configuration lilo boot-selectable between Nouveau and Nvidia
> drivers using nomodeset command. An init script detected presence or absence
> of nomodeset, and exchanged xorg.conf files, was set to be run before any Xorg.
>
> My new 64bit has the defaulted Nouveau which is just fine for most things. Will
> not run flightgear. Nvidia's driver, even the legacy version, will run it.
>
> The new installation is running systemd (without a hitch by the way). Also,
> there is no such animal as xorg.conf, either in /etc/X11 or /usr/share/X11.
>
> So how would I, after dkms the Nvidia legacy driver, set up as I had before.
> (I do not simply default to Nvidia because (long-long-standing bug) it messes
> up the consoles rendering them unusable (KDE Konsole windows not effected).

xorg.conf is now an optional file. If it doesn't exist, the x server
will auto-detect everything it needs (udev, xinput and so on make this
easier). There is a caveat to this, though; when an Nvidia card is
detected, the nouveau driver will be the preferred auto-detect driver
(even if you have the nvidia driver installed).

Now, xorg.conf is optional, not obsolete, so you can still have an
xorg.conf file and it can be as big or as small as fits your needs. You
can re-use the xorg.conf files from your 32-bit install and they should
Just Work™. Alternatively, if you want to let Xorg continue to
auto-detect everything, but *just* override its idea of which driver to
use, your xorg.conf can be as minimal as:

  Section "Device"
    Identifier "My Nvidia Card"
	Driver "nvidia"
	VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"