Multiple Video Drivers

Had my old 32-bit configuration lilo boot-selectable between Nouveau and Nvidia
drivers using nomodeset command. An init script detected presence or absence
of nomodeset, and exchanged xorg.conf files, was set to be run before any Xorg.

My new 64bit has the defaulted Nouveau which is just fine for most things. Will
not run flightgear. Nvidia's driver, even the legacy version, will run it.

The new installation is running systemd (without a hitch by the way). Also,
there is no such animal as xorg.conf, either in /etc/X11 or /usr/share/X11.

So how would I, after dkms the Nvidia legacy driver, set up as I had before.
(I do not simply default to Nvidia because (long-long-standing bug) it messes
up the consoles rendering them unusable (KDE Konsole windows not effected).