Re: Query about .xsession-errors file

Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> writes:

> So, I believe (unttil and unless, advised otherwise) that the
> deleteing the file (which did not free up the disc space, in itself),
> and then, renaming the xsystem-errors.old file, to xsystem-errors,
> appears to have disappeared the problem, which, if I had known
> earlier, could perhaps have been accomplished by the command ">
> xsystem-errors", which, I assume, would have had the same effect.

Hm, I would assume that this might be a (temporary) workaround and not a
fix for the problem --- the problem being that a rather large error log
is being created by some process(es).

Next time you start the process(es), they'll probably re-create the log
file, or another one.  I'd recommend that you keep your eyes on it and
try to actually fix the problem.  Fixing it might involve filing a bug
report along the lines of some process(es) writing to a log file in such
a way that it grows indefinitely.

In case you discover an endlessly growing log file again, you could
change ownership to root and make it writable for root only in order to
see whether some process complains or crashes.

Generally, when you run out of disk space, you should get error messages
like "no space left on device", and the process that tries to create a
file would terminate eventually.  However, I've seen running USB disks
out of disk space which in turn became un-un-mountable, and the system
(Ubuntu LTS) would even hang on reboot and had to be switched off (which
IMO is a bug somewhere).

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.