Query about .xsession-errors file

Hello.

In trying to work out why my disk space gets progressively consumed so
that I repeatedly run out of disc space without any known reason, in
examining my hidden files in my home directory, I found the file
.xsession-errors, which is currently sitting at about 740MB, and has
been growing in the last hour.

Does some uttility or command (with switches) exist, that can purge
the file of redundant (for example, entries over a week old, or,
entries from before the current boot session) entries, so as to reduce
the file size to content that is necessary to retain for debugging?

I am concerned that, should I simply delete the file, the system will
crash or otherwise damage to the boot session, would occur.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale