Re: Searching in PDF-file broken?

On Wed 10 Sep 2014 at 23:12:26 +0200, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:

> Brian wrote on 09/10/2014 18:20:
> > On Wed 10 Sep 2014 at 16:32:50 +0200, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> >
> >> Recently I got a PDF-file which displays alright with a pdf-viewer but searching
> >> for text or numbers does not work correctly.
> >>
> >> I tried different viewers like the one built into iceweasel, one of the
> >> poppler-family like xpdf or evince, and mupdf.
> >> The text search fails if using a whole word with its first letter (like "monat"
> >> in the example file available at
> >> http://www.file-upload.net/download-9507877/iText-2.0.8-example.pdf.html).
> >> Searching without the first letter works.
> >
> > Having to sign-up is a disincentive to examining the PDF.
> >
> No, you don't have to sign up. There are two download buttons, choose the one on
> the right side. But you'll also get an offensive advertisement.

  brian@desktop:~$ pdffonts iText-2.0.8-example.pdf
  name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
  ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
  ArialMT                              TrueType          no  no  yes     49  0

The font is not embedded in the PDF and ArialMT is not on this system. I
suppose the system will substitute something for it.

A portion of  pdftotext's output is

  pparen mit bxtra-Bonus
  Bis zu NIUM B pKaK winsen für maxK 4 jonate

  peÜr geeÜrte hundinI seÜr geeÜrter hundeI
  mit mostÄank oendite päusI dem neuen pparCard honto mit

My money would still be on mangled font encodings rather than defective
viewing applications.