Re: Canon PIXMA mg5420 or HP Photo Smart 7520

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 19:06:26 -0400
ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

> In need of a new printer, having done a bit or research, and
> considering either the Canon PIXMA mg5420  or the HP Photo Smart 7520.

Avoid all-in-one junks.
Just for the story, I saw some completely refusing to work
just because the scanner lamp was dead (price is close to 1/2
of the junk's price…)

Think about the difference between a MIDI HIFI block and a
conventional one: when you break something in a MIDI, it'll
usually end up in the trash can.

> I've also read horror stories about the how often new ink cartridges
> are required, that basically you pay for the printer a second and
> third time buying cartridges (not to mention how often a print job is
> interrupted by a trip to buy new cartridges).  Any first-hand reports
> on that?

Depends on your use (home or pro). If you _really_ need color, then
go for color - I think about professions that _needs_ (law mandatory)
color for some texts).
Depending on your monthly consumption, color laser could be an option
(but watch closely the toners' prices before buying!)

But if you can avoid it, then go B&W laser and do NOT choose the lower
model; choose a model where the cartridge includes the drum (HP is
generally a good choice and compatible cartridges can be found for
a fraction of the original's price with excellent perfs).