Re: host hostname not found

On Fri 05 Sep 2014 at 10:49:15 -0400, Podrigal, Aron wrote:

> I did not have libnss-myhostname installed. I think it was always shipped
> with the debian installation, at least on wheezy 7.4 through 7.5, I now had
> wheezy 7.6 installed, Was this changed in 7.6 or I'm just wrong?

libnss-myhostname is "Priority: extra" and has no reverse depends, so it
would not be expected to come with any Wheezy release.

> However I installed libnss-myhostname, amd I am now able to start proxmox
> pve-cluster, which I wasn't able before due to failing local dns lookup.

There is no failing local DNS lookup. It has pointed been out your
/etc/hosts has a line missing. It would look like this

  127.0.1.1  hostname

or this

  127.0.1.1  hostname.domain  hostname

and is put there by the installer.

libnss-myhostname works without that line being present.

What does "getent hosts $(hostname)" give?

> But still when I do host localhost, I still get not found.  Is that the
> intended behavior? I just checked on different environments and I see tjat
> on mac os im also getting not found for localhost. So looks like Reco is
> right that thos is intended behavior. But on my other debian boxes < 7.6 it
> does work, so my question is why does it work there? So in short, was there
> any change in the last release?

It isn't possible for the host command to come up with an IP for
localhost using the DNS. You have a possible misconfiguration.