Re: apt-get update during boot

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 07:21:09AM +0200, Matthias Bodenbinder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> somehow my system is running an apt-get update or something similar during boot. Whenever I login after boot I can do a "apt-get dist-upgrade" directly because the package list is already up to date. If I am too fast with the "apt-get dist-upgrade" it even complains that the database is locked by another process. waiting a few more seconds solves that. And this is true regardless which desktop I use: kde, xfce or cinnamon.
>
> I could not find any hint ffpr apt in /etc/init.d or /etc/xdg/autostart. So where is that apt-get update happening? is it webmin?

There are a number of programs I can think that would do that. apt-cron,
unattended-upgrades and  friends will  update apt in  order to  find new
packages to install automatically. munin-node  will also update in order
to count the number of new packages (if you have that graph enabled).

So, you probably  also want to check crontabs (both  the system ones and
local ones for all users).